Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE)

Postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE)The PGCE is one of several qualifications you can do once you have already completed a degree. They focus on developing teaching skills, so you need to have a good understanding of the subject you plan to teach.


PGCE courses usually last one year full-time or up to two years part-time.

Where can I do a PGCE?

PGCE courses are taught at universities and colleges throughout the UK. Distance learning and online learning are offered by a number of institutions, including the Open University and Canterbury Christ Church University.

What qualifications do I need?

You must have a UK undergraduate degree or a recognised equivalent qualification.
You can check if your qualifications are equivalent by visiting NARIC UK.
If the subject you have a degree in isn’t compatible with the subject you wish to teach, it may be worth taking a subject knowledge enhancement course.
You also need a standard equivalent to at least a grade C in GCSE English language and mathematics. If you want to teach primary or key stage 2/3 (ages 7-14), you must also have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade C in a GCSE science subject.

Is there any funding available while I train?

Find out if you’re eligible for funding.

How do I apply?

Most applications are made via the Graduate Teacher Training Registry (GTTR). However, some ITT providers ask that you apply directly to them.

If you are applying for a course to teach at secondary school, you may apply to four course providers.
If you are applying for a course to teach at primary schools, you may apply to two course providers.
You can apply from mid-September to June for courses starting the following September or October.

Related links